Some Valentine's-Day-themed geekery from around the intertubes…
A Halo Valentine from II HYPNOTiiQ II and Xbox.com ↓
A hexadecimal / Zero Wing / Valentine / shirt
mashup from ThinkGeek →
← The Rosette Nebula, Astronomy Picture of the Day for February 14, 2008, from Nasa.gov.
The Rosette Nebula (aka NGC 2237) is not the only cosmic cloud of gas and dust to evoke the imagery of flowers. But it is the one most often suggested as a suitable astronomy image for Valentine's Day.
Then there are heart surface and heart curve formulas from Wolfram MathWorld. And romantic Perl code poetry—geek love at its finest.
I guess my old expression of regex love is also appropriate here, if anywhere ↓
Behold my Mountain Dew collection at work, originally started when someone asked how much Dew I drank per day. This ended up taking me a couple months, since I slowed down from my previous ~4/day consumption rate right around the time I started preserving the evidence.
The photo is by ColdFusion programmer and photographer Joe D'Angelo, whose single greatest purpose in life seems to be trying to sneak up behind me and getting me to spill whatever I happen to be eating or drinking at the time.
Several of my work buddies have quit smoking recently, which means I need to recruit new smokers to join me for smoke breaks. To help with this, here is the first in possibly a series of pro-smoking pieces. (This is adapted from The Easy Way to Start Smoking.)
- Is smoking cool?
- Taking even the most objective and detached view of this issue, it's hard to ignore the fact that the vast majority of people who hold the view that smoking is not cool are themselves not cool, and that the people who think it is cool are cool.
- What is secondhand smoking?
- Secondhand smoking is the best way to fill your lungs without spending $4.50 a day for the pleasure. Nowadays, secondhand smoke is big news and suddenly seems to affect everyone. This is despite the fact that smokers themselves have known about the benefits of secondhand smoking for years. Why do you think we like to huddle together, if not to smoke our own cigs and a little of everyone else's, too?
- Is secondhand smoking cool?
- The honest response is no. Simply standing next to smokers won't help freeloaders in this respect.
- Why do smokers get more colds?
- Remember that colds are viral infections, passed from person to person. Catching a cold is simply a side effect of leading an active, sociable life full of friends, lovers, and laughter. Non-smokers might want to ask themselves why it is they catch so few colds. Why are they so unpopular? What is wrong with them?
- Where have I hidden your cigs?
- That's not funny.
So, I have a new domain name and host which lets me run PHP and ColdFusion. Woohoo! I'm new to the world of both PHP and WordPress (which is powering this blog), so this is still pretty rough. Hopefully I'll add more cool features and customize the design before too long.